Feb 2014 CrossFitter of the Month:
1. How long have you been training here at CrossFit Elgin, and what brought you here?
I have been training at Crossfit Elgin for just over a year. Sarah Paradis convinced me that it was ‘awesome’, (and that I would not in fact die), so I had to try it! After a few weeks, I was hooked
2. Since starting at CrossFit Elgin, what has your lifestyle been like? Have you changed anything?
Since starting at Crossfit Elgin, I feel transformed. I’m much more active, stronger, and my diet is cleaner. I've lost 2 sizes, (25 pounds), I'm full of energy, and in the best shape I have ever been in. And I’m not finished yet!
3. What is your favorite movement / skill you have learned at CrossFit Elgin?
I don't really have a favourite skill. What I do love is an AMRAP! That moment when everyone finishes at the beep, falls down, and enjoys exhaustion at the same time is amazing! Such camaraderie!
4. What has been the most challenging part of your journey?
When will I ever get that unbanded pull up?! Soon :).
The most challenging parts initially were getting up at 5:30 AM and implementing Paleo. But as Steve would say, 'Everything is hard until it's routine'. He was right.
5. What has been the most fun?
Regarding the work outs, the variety keeps it interesting and fun. I don't think I have repeated more than a handful of workouts in the last year. Better than that, are the friends and acquaintances I have made at Crossfit Elgin. It really is a supportive community atmosphere that draws you in and makes a tiring and challenging experience fun.
6. How many days a week do you typically train at the gym?
I train 4-5 days a week.
7. What is your approach toward nutrition?
Shortly after starting Crossfit, I started eating Paleo. My motto is 100% paleo, 90% of the time.
8. Favorite activity outside of CrossFit Elgin: I love anything active outside....hiking, biking, kayaking...you name it! Add in my family or BFF, and that's a perfect day right there :)