Broccoli Salad Snack
2 or 3 heads of broccoli
1 1/2 cups of red or green grapes, halved
10 slices bacon (turkey bacon if you can find it)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cups silvered almonds
1 1/4 cup paleo mayonnaise (See Paleo Mayonnaise ROW)
1/4 cup lemon juice
Mix together all of the above! Enjoy!!!
Ingredients for the coconut Paleo mayonnaise (yields about 1 and 1/4 cups)
* 2 egg yolks
* 1 tsp mustard (this is optional)
* 3 tsp lemon juice
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 cup coconut oil
* 1 cup liquid bacon fat (you can of course use rendered lard, it’s the same thing) in place of the olive and coconut oils
1. Put the yolks in a bowl (blender, food processor) with the mustard, if using and 1 tsp lemon juice and mix those ingredients together;
2. Start whisking vigorously (blender or food processor on low) while dripping the oil very slowly, even drop by drop in the beginning. You’re creating an emulsion and if you put too much oil at once, it will separate and will be very hard to save. Whisk non-stop and use a towel under the bowl to help stabilize it;
3. As you add more oil, the emulsion will form and the mayonnaise will start to thicken and you can pour the oil faster at this point;
4. When all the oil is incorporated and the mayonnaise is thick, add the rest of the lemon juice and taste your creation. You can season to taste with salt and pepper;
5. Enjoy without guilt and put the store in the refrigerator!
And here you go, it’s that simple. Of course I encourage you to play with it and to come up with new variations. Happy Paleo mayonnaise making!
ROW - Paleo Pancakes
1 cup almond meal
1/4 cup (scant) flax meal
¼ cup Hemp seed
½ cup oats
1 cup quinoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups water mix with 11/3 cup protein powder
½ cup olive oil
4 tsp vanilla extract
frozen blueberries (keep ‘em frozen until i say!)
combine all wet ingredients in a small bowl.-not the blueberries!
separately, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. -not the blueberries!
combine the wet and dry, and allow to sit for a few minutes. the batter should be a little thick, you’ll want to scoop it out of the bowl, not pour. -still, wait on the blueberries.
heat a skillet over medium heat, and add a small amount of oil to the pan. once the oil shimmers, your pan is ready.
use a ladle or measuring cup to scoop out some batter. pour it onto the skillet, and top with a small handful of blueberries. allow to cook for a few minutes, flip when the bottom is set.
these will turn out a beautiful, crisp on the outside, moist and crumbly on the inside pancake.
top with hot blueberries, coconut cream, and maple syrup.
Recipe of the Week: Paleo Strawberry Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups Walnuts
Pinch of Celtic Sea Salt
1/4 cup of agave nectar
In food processor, pulse walnuts until they are fine then slowly add agave and mix. Once the mixture starts to form together then stop. You do not want to over process or else it will get too oily. Press down in a pie shell.
4 cups cashews - soaked for about 15min or longer
3/4 cup agave syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup lemon juice - freshly squeezed
1/4 cup water
1 cup coconut oil/butter
1 pint Fresh Strawberrys
1/4 Agave syrup
Process the cashews until they turn doughy, add agave, lemon, water, vanilla and process until smooth.
Then slowly add strawberries, then coconut oil.
Process until smooth and creamy.
Pour it over the crust.
Put in fridge to cool for a couple hours.
ROW - Recipe of the Week