After completely sweeping the Paleo challenge leaderboard with highest points, % of inches and % of weight loss, we are proud to announce our first double month winner - John McGugan!
Way to go Johnny!
1. How long have you been training here at CrossFit Elgin, and what brought you here?
I have been training at Crossfit Elgin for about two years (minus the summer months). I had heard about this great new way of training/working out from a friend (Tim Small), he encouraged me to try the “free first class” and I have been hooked ever since.
2. Since starting at CrossFit Elgin, what has your lifestyle been like? Have you changed anything?
The biggest thing I have come to realize is that what I consume really effects how I feel as well as how I preform during a workout. I have become more health conscious, making sure I have balance in my diet and my daily activities.
3. What is your favorite movement / skill you have learned at CrossFit Elgin?
Burpees, I love burpees, burpees are my favorite. Yes, that’s me trying to change my attitude towards them. I have to say I don’t really have a favorite. I like just about all of them for the unique challenges they each have.
4. What has been the most challenging part of your journey?
The most challenging part for me has been the mental side of it. Pushing through when your muscles burn, or when you are tired.
5. What has been the most fun?
Has to be the atmosphere, the people that go are great. Everyone cheers you on, and you in turn cheer them on. The congratulations you get from everyone when you achieve a personal best or the high fives from my kids as we run laps. Crossfit Elgin has a truly unique environment.
6. How many days a week do you typically train at the gym?
I train three times a week.
7. What is your approach toward nutrition?
Having just completed the paleo challenge and having some pretty incredible results from it, I would still have to say my approach is about balance. I will still continue to follow mostly a paleo diet, (because I feel a lot better), however I will still uncork a bottle of wine with my wife at the end of the work week.
8. Favourite activity outside of CrossFit Elgin:?
Generally hockey and golf, but really enjoy any activity that I get to do with the love of my life and our two remarkable kids.